June 27, 2012

Fortuitous Test


During the first month of my freshman year at William and Mary, I went on a field trip with the geology department. We camped next to the James River and then canoed down it the next morning, stopping to look at geologic features along the way. It was great, and a significant factor in my decision to major in geology. However, there were unadvertised class 2 rapids, and my canoe flipped, dumping me, but more importantly, my camera, into the James. It was completely immersed for at least 10 seconds, so I took no more photos that trip. I let it dry out for an entire stressful day and took it out to the sunken gardens the next night to test it out. A product of that tentative shoot, this photo thankfully confirmed that there didn't seem to be any water stains inside the lens.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day on the James so well!! I'm so glad your camera survived, and even more glad you became a geology major.

    ReplyDelete