January 17, 2014

Marmot


This semester, I'm taking Theater Photography, the only photography class offered at my school. Our first assignment was to share our favorite photo on the class blog. This is one of the two that I posted, and here's the story behind it: when I visited Yosemite National Park in the summer of 2010, I hiked to the top of Mt. Hoffman, which was crawling with marmots. But on my way up, I got side-tracked photographing this particularly friendly marmot. I spent almost an hour crawling around on the side of the mountain, following him as he nibbled here and there, took a break in the shade of a rock, and then went back to eating. He was clearly aware of my presence, but was blissfully unconcerned. After slowly getting closer and closer and getting very good looks at him, I took this shot of him getting a good look at me. This photo was taken with my shortest focal length—it just warms my soul that this marmot had no problem with me snapping photos mere feet away.

No comments:

Post a Comment